Thursday, July 23, 2009

My Life is a Dunkin Donuts Commercial

Today at the doctor's I had to fill out one of those profile sheets that want to know what drugs I may die from if I take them, how much I drink, my family history, etc. The funniest question on the survey was what were my hobbies and activities. I sat in the uncomfortable chair and thought about it. I would love to scrapbook. Cycling would be a great way to get in shape. I will never say no to a few hours of quality shopping. These are all great answers but my guilt in lying to a doctor overcame and I wrote the truth. My hobby and activity (yes, this is in the singular) is to chauffer my children to THEIR hobbies and activities (yes, I meant in the plural).

I swore I would not over-program my kids. One athletic activity and one music/art activity and religious school and that would be it. We would have family dinners, family play time, and family vacations because extra-curricular activities would not dictate our lives. Once my kids were hit with the recognition that THEY had choices MY choice of living the family sitcom life of serenity and bliss went out the window. Here is a basic rundown of our activities once school begins. Teen 1: 5:45 am swimming (yes, I know it is insane), cross country, swimming again, One Act rehearsals, Show Choir rehearsals, and Jazz Band (maybe). Teen 2: Travel soccer, voice lessons, band, religious school, middle school soccer, swim team. Oh, and I am a high school assistant principal so I have ALL of the free time in the world to do this. My desperate need for one more driver in the house to manage the chaos of all of these events is rapidly overriding the fear that my 15 yr old is nowhere ready to drive - especially given her knack for walking into inanimate objects (like I want her in a car?). Give her the keys so I only have to make 12 stops after school not 24.

I saw a Dunkin Donuts commercial that had a smiling mom driving a mommobile (aka minivan). She was gazing in her rear view mirror at her adoring and oh so appreciative kids while sipping a frozen coffee drink. I swear it was laced with something because no mom that I know has that happy look with the full knowledge that they are driving back and forth across town for oboe, soccer, swimming, and karate as the jingle went. Here is the reality of that commercial in my life. First of all, the coffee drink is melted into some liquid and left over from the previous day but it is wet and will do. The kids are fighting who rides shotgun with the oldest yelling that the law says you have to be 12 to ride in the front seat with the 11 yr old telling her to make her move. We pull out of the garage and get far enough away for the 11 yr old now in the backseat to let me know that X person called 3 days ago to change the location of said soccer game to Timbuktu at a different time. At the same time I am being told that I was volunteered to bring snacks. Quiet for about 30 seconds before the other child realizes that she left her shoes/bathing suit at home with my sanity. Would I mind dropping her off and then going back home to get her stuff because she wants to talk with her friends before she swims. Younger sibling then makes a snide comment and older sibling makes a nasty comment and then when mom yells, I am reminded that I volunteered to do all of these things about 5 months ago and if I minded I shouldn't have volunteered. When older daughter gets out of the car I am then TOLD that I am driving all 30 members of the swim team to a party and I should remember that I am forbidden to speak and why haven't I left to get the bathing suit.

The closest I am getting to the Dunkin Donuts commercial is the 3 times I drive past it trying to manage their life and give them all of the opportunities in the world at the sake of mine. So, the only question I have left to ask is to the drive thru lady at DD for some of what the woman in the car is having. Make mine a double.

No comments:

Post a Comment